English on the Internet - English Magazine


March 10, 2001

Starting January 31, everyone who works in the US receives their W2 forms from their employer. This tells them how much they made that year and how much they paid in taxes to the State and Federal government. They then have till April 15 to file their taxes or pay a penalty for being late.

Taxes can be filed through the mail or the Internet. If you don't know how to fill them out to your best advantage you can go to a Certified Public Accountant or a business that fills out tax forms for you. These people know what deductions are allowed and will help you get some of your money back or try to help you pay in less if you didn't have enough taken out of your pay.

Parents with children receive a tax break earning from $300 a child and up in tax credits this means if you have two children you could get $600 or more by claiming them on your income taxes. Also a child living at home and partiality supporting or supporting a parent can file as head of household and receive the same tax brake as the family with children.

There are numerous deductions you can use to reduce the amount of tax you pay or to receive a refund. If you file using the Internet and have a bank account you refund will be in your account within fourteen business days. Checks mailed out can take as long as two or three weeks. Many people take advantage of the electronic filing because they can get their refund faster.

Paying taxes isn't fund but it's the American way of supporting a lot of programs to help those unable to work as well as to pay our politicians. Tax money pays for new roads, schools, education, and many other items communities couldn't pay for on their own. So while Americans may grumble about paying their taxes they love all the benefits their money brings.

by Jane Custer - USA, has a BS in Communications and loves writing

© March 2001 English on the Internet www.aj.cz